I am back to work today after a week off – my first sabbatical week – and I feel really refreshed and ready to get stuck into my work again. The idea of the sabbatical week is to take off every seventh week to rest and recharge my batteries, both physically and creatively. I explained the concept in a recent article – will include the link below.
For my first sabbatical, rest was the major priority but I was also hoping that I would be able to reconnect with my sketchbook. So I want to share with you what I did last week in my book, and I thought that rather than write another blog, I would create my first vlog.
Click here to view video on Youtube (especially for people who receive my blog posts via email as the video doesn’t come through for you.)
Links to things mentioned in the video:
- The idea behind taking a small scale sabbatical
- Stillman and Birn softcover sketchbooks
I was using the Alpha softcover 8 x 10, the smaller version was softcover 5.5 x 8.5 and the hardcover 9 x 6
- My latest palette listing – this will be updated soon.
- Edges online course https://sketchingnow.com/edges-course/
- Palladio research was because of the Palladian Odyssey workshops – almost fully booked up now!
- My instagram account
- Sean McCabe’s Hustle sticker
- Urban Sketchers Sydney hashtag on Instagram
- Peter Rush’s Instagram
The big takeaways from this week were:
- How much I enjoyed using a larger sketchbook as it gave me the freedom to build up a record of my day with little sketches and notes – I want to keep doing that.
- The realisation that most of the sketches were done away from home, on outings ( in my case in cafes). So the goal for this coming week is to sketch more at home and to carve out some time to do that. I know this has been a recurring theme in my last week blogposts over the past year, but it is a constant struggle.
What about you, do you have the same struggle?
Did you enjoy seeing my sketchbook in video form like this?
Please leave me a comment below.