Once you have all your tools selected, you have to work out how you are going to use them on location…
- How are you going to balance your paints and water and sketchbook?
- Are you going to stand when sketching or carry a stool?
- How are you going to carry your supplies?
Urban Sketching Kit articles
Here are some links to popular articles on putting a kit together and using it out on location:
- Stools and sketching seats
- Support boards (including the StablO nomadic easel)
- Walkit Sketching Bags (see also to the Sketching Bags section for more)
- Setting up a watercolour palette
- How I mix in my palette to reduce paint wastage on location
- Small watercolour palettes (see also the Watercolour section for more about choosing the colours to go in your palette)
- How I carry my paint brushes (see also the Brushes section for more)
Photos of me sketching on location
Showing various sketching positions – standing up, sitting on a stool, on benches and on the ground
These days my preferred position is to find somewhere to sit! I used to use a support board when sitting on a bench but now I don’t bother carrying it. I simply rest my sketchbook on my lap and hold my palette in my hand. I also can easily spread my sketching materials along the bench!