My Current Sketching Kit
My daily sketching kit as of December 2018. This is the stuff which I carry with me (practically) everywhere.
- For the full listing of everything in this kit please refer to this article.
- Note: My kit changes constantly, but generally it’s a variation of the items shown in this photo.
- A mix of Daniel Smith, Winsor and Newton and Schmincke watercolours in an Art Basics tin. More details here.
My two favourite Fountain Pens
- Lamy Joy pen (white) with a gold nib (once was EF but now more like a M in thickness) filled with De Atramentis Document Ink black. More about permanent inks for Fountain Pens here. Please note the Joy is a calligraphy pen and comes with a stub nib. I replaced that with a normal nib for drawing.
- Green Sailor fountain pen with 55 degree fude nib filled with De Atramentis Document Ink Black and/or Urban Grey
- The brush I use 99% of the time is Rosemary & Co Series 772 1/2 ” sable blend dagger. It has a sharpened end so that it fits into a toothbrush container. More about why I like this brush here.
- I also have a Pentel Aquash Waterbrush in large. I don’t like the results from a waterbrush (washes are flat with little granulation) so I rarely paint with it. The main use is as a clean water supply for pre-wetting skies
- Refer to the Brushes Section for more details.
- When I’m out urban sketching I attach my sketchbook, palette and water container to a support board- more details here.