My Current Urban Sketching Kit
My daily kit as of October 2022. These are the sketching tools that I carry with me (practically) everywhere whether I am urban sketching at home or travelling.
For the full listing of all the tools in this urban sketching kit please refer to this article.
The most important parts of my kit are:
- A mix of Daniel Smith, Winsor and Newton and Schmincke watercolours in a metal tin. More details here.
- All the colours in my palette – refer to this series of articles.
My two favourite Fountain Pens
- Green Sailor fountain pen with 55 degree fude nib filled with De Atramentis Document Ink Black and/or Urban Grey
- Lamy Joy pen (white) with a gold nib (once was EF but now more like a M in thickness) filled with De Atramentis Document Ink black. Please note the Joy is a calligraphy pen and comes with a stub nib. I replaced that with a normal nib for drawing.
- More about permanent inks for Fountain Pens here.
- In depth series of articles about Fountain Pens
- The brush I use 99% of the time is Rosemary & Co Series 772 1/2 ” sable blend dagger. It has a sharpened end so that it fits into a toothbrush container. More about why I like this brush here.
- I also have a Faber Castell waterbrush. I don’t like the results from a waterbrush (washes are flat with little granulation) so I rarely paint with it. The main use is as a clean water supply for pre-wetting skies
- Refer to the Brushes Section for more details.
- When I’m out urban sketching I attach my sketchbook, palette and water container to a support board – more details here.