Liz Steel: a Sketchbook Film from Sketchbook Skool on Vimeo.
Well I am totally stoked to be able to share this film with you (I don’t normally use the word ‘stoked’ but I know you must be get tired of me using the phrase “I am so excited”)
Danny Gregory has put together this extra film to share with everyone …showing my two demos that I have prepared for my classes in the upcoming term “Seeing” at Sketchbook Skool- starting this Friday 4 July! There is still time to sign up if you haven’t already (ok- that is my last sales pitch- I promise!)
It was a super fun day working with an awesome cinematographer Pavel Trotsenko and his crew on the most sparkling of autumn mornings in Sydney.
This film is a good summary of a lot of things about me…
– my obsession with teacups and drinking a lot of tea
– my drawing a lot of teacups
– always filling sketchbook after sketchbook with sketches from my life
– my love watercolour and using my lamy pen
– having way too many art supplies and books in my studio
– always happy to get out sketching
– always sketching whenever I can (even on a ferry!)
– my love Sydney and the harbour
– always sketching architecture
– and always try to fit in a tearoom visit somehow!
During my week on Sketchbook Skool you will also be getting the run down on
– why I draw so many cups of tea and how it relates (if at all) to sketching architecture
– how my background as an architect has had a huge impact on the way that I sketch
– how I see “slowly” like an architect and how this helps me sketch fast and spontaneously (disclaimer: the more I sketch the more this ‘slow’ seeing is speeding up!)
– and also I will give you a tour of my sketchbook collection and how my work has evolved over the last 7.5 years since I first picked up a paintbrush and started my first moleskine.
I am just so excited (oops! that phrase slipped in!) to given this opportunity to share with you in this way some more of the way I work – and what an incredible experience to work with such an amazing film crew.
But… you know the most special part about it is that I am just one week of a six week term –
I am part of a mind-blowing team!!!!
It such an enormous honour and thrill to be teaching alongside Danny, Koojse, Brenda, Kate and Andrea. All 5 are amazing artists and great friends who have inspired, encouraged me in some many ways over the years.
I can’t wait – see you in week 6 and hanging out learning together for the whole term!