I’m super excited to announce that I am starting to work on a new SketchingNow course….drum roll please….
I have had many requests for this, so it’s great to be able to finally get stuck into preparing the content for this course. It will run as a weekly course (with teacher interaction) in early 2018.
Rather than sending you over to the SketchingNow site, I’ll share all the details about the course with you here…
When you sketch with watercolour, do you struggle with water control, murky or flat colours and overworked washes?
Having a solid understanding of how pigment suspended in water behaves and a few specific strategies for using watercolour in a quick and spontaneous way will enable you to paint with more confidence out on location.
The more you understand the unique properties of watercolour the more you can work with it rather that fighting against it! This will liberate your sketching and you’ll find that watercolour will start performing magic on your page.
Watercolour sketching (and particularly out on location) involves a different approach than traditional watercolour studio painting and this is what we will explore in the course.
The topics will include:
- how to increase your control of water – whether working with a tight control or working looser and taking risks
- how to decide when to layer/glaze and when to work wet-in-wet
- how to create vibrant colours with a limted palette
- how to be more confident with your use of colour
- how to apply all these techniques to sketching on location
- how to develop your own style for watercolour sketching
The course will be aimed at beginners and self-taught urban sketchers who want to fill in the gaps of their understanding of watercolour.
Ten years ago I discovered watercolour in a field kit and instantly fell in love – it was a small box containing endless possibilities for adding colour to my ink sketches. I had no idea how to paint in watercolour and spent years trying to work ot how to get the results I wanted. SketchingNow Watercolour will contain all the concepts and techniques I wish I’d known when I started.
The goal of this course is to develop foundational watercolour skills which will make it much easier to use watercolour with freedom out on location.
Please sign up to the dedicated SketchingNow Watercolour waiting list to get more information and exclusive introductory lessons in the lead-up to the course.
Join the Watercolour waiting list to get updates
But right now I need your help so that SketchingNow Watercolour can address the topics that you really need help with.
- What you are struggling with at the moment when sketching in watercolour?
- What would you like to be able to do with your watercolour sketches?
(for example: do you want to create nice consistent washes, or do you want to be loose and splashy?)
- Is there anything else about watercolour that you would like to learn?
To let me know, either join the waiting list and send me an email, or leave a comment below. Thanks!