I’m excited to announce a new two day Sketching on Location workshop in The Rocks: 21-22 February 2019.
In this workshop we will be looking at how to sketch quickly on location with ink and wash. The Rocks area is a perfect part of Sydney to learn these skills as it’s full of interesting street scenes with lots of different layers of history.
The secret to quick sketching is not trying to draw and paint at a furious pace. Instead it’s being intentional about what we sketch and simplifying the scene in front of us. Saying more with less.
So in this workshop we will be looking at how to determine the important edges and the big shapes when we look at a scene. And then how to create a focus and tell an interesting personal story about what we like most about the scene. When should we sketch a big scene, and why should we zoom in and just focus on a detail. And along the way we will learn lots of tips for making our lines stronger and our watercolour more lively.
This workshop has been designed for people with some sketching experience (ie. not absolute beginners). The workshop exercises will be based on the concepts from my SketchingNow Foundations and Watercolour, so if you work through those two online courses it will give you a great grounding for this workshop.
Date: Thursday 21 – Friday 22 February 2019
Time: 10.00 am – 4.00pm
Location: The Rocks. (exact location to be emailed to participants)
Price: $330 AUD (including GST)
No. of participants: Maximum 12
UPDATE: This workshop sold out in a few hours (wow!) but I’m still taking names on a wait list and will see if I can offer another one in early 2019.
- Paper/sketchbook suitable for ink and wash – A5-A4 size.
- Permanent ink pen
- Pencils (optional) – bring a 2B pencil or a watercolour pencil for a few set up lines. My favourite is a Brown Ochre Watercolour pencil by Faber Castell.
- Coloured media: Watercolour is the preferred medium. Bring your normal watercolour kit – there are no special requirements for specific colours. If you want to use the same colours as I do this 12 colour set contains most of hte colours I will be using.
- Waterbrush or sable brush and water container.
- Any other materials you have in your bag!
- Small portable stool or something to sit on.
- Hat, sunscreen, extra layer, rain protection etc. We will be sketching out on the streets of The Rocks.