My coffee cup sketches are different from my teacup sketches in that they are normally done under a limited time constraint.
- When I do my teacup sketches I slow down and sip my tea while exploring ways of recording complex patterns on my page. Teacup sketching generally is a special sketching event.
- When I sketch coffee cups I’m normally thinking about something else and the sketch is just a quick way to record a moment in colour and texture in my sketchbook.
Here are some of the occasions when I will sketch a coffee cup…
- I’m with a friend and it’s a quick way to record the occasion while still being focused on the conversation (reflex sketching)
- It’s a quick cafe visit on the way to an appointment. Sometimes I do a simple continuous line drawing of the cafe scene but if I want a little colour on my page I’ll do a quick coffee sketch
- I’ve decided to have a work session in a cafe (I love catching up on written content surrounded by the white noise of the people around me). The purpose of the cafe visit is to work so I normally don’t have the time or inclination to focus on sketching. So once again a coffee sketch is a way to record the event.
- If it’s a really wet morning (or I’m crazy busy) and I skip my morning walk and sketch, I might sometimes do a sketch of my morning coffee at home.
On all these occasions I’m not really focused on my sketch and as a result, my coffee sketches have become playful and therefore I willingly accept the wonky. They are also a good subject to explore techniques and mixing media.
So here are a few of my coffee sketches from the last few months…
Note: Some of the sketches below were done during my dry media period (Aug- Sept) and even though I’m back to using watercolour in most sketches, I’m still doing the occasional pencil and marker sketch if the time is limited.
Coffee with friends
Coffee before appointments
On this occasion I had time for a sketch of the view too!
Four Ate Five (Surry Hills) before teaching a workshop
Paddock On Crown (Surry Hills) before teaching another workshop.
North Sydney cafe
Cafe work sessions (all at Goodfields Lindfield)
Coffees at Home
So there you have it. I found more coffee sketches than I expected!
It’s great to have a subject matter that I’m very relaxed about sketching. I’m happy to go for it even when I don’t have much time or focus. Do you ever do sketching like this?