Before I start with my big thought from last week, I just want to thank everyone who left a message on this article about finding inspiration in the daily grind. Lots of great thoughts and challenges – thank you!
Following on from that theme I couldn’t help thinking about a related issue:
The benefit of sticking to a daily routine even if the inspiration isn’t there all the time.
I have been sketching my latte every weekday morning since mid November last year. It’s nearly always the same coffee order (a regular skinny latte) but of course the coffee art is unique each day. I still love doing them and I still don’t feel like I am nailing it every time (hmm, every day I think I haven’t done a great job!) but I do wonder at times:
why am I doing the same thing over and over every day?
- I enjoy it and I am not bored at all – each day I still want to sketch my latte.
- There is still room for improvement in accuracy, particularly because I am working at speed.
- I just love starting my work day moving pigment around on the page with my dagger brush and it is nice that I don’t have to think about what to sketch.
- I am still searching for new ways to sketch this subject matter – both the objects and the texture of the crema.
- If my day gets out of control at least I have done one sketch.
- It is a way of recording the unique little incidents that happen every day. I love being part of the lively community that exists in my local cafe each morning.
- Its a small sketch so it doesn’t take a lot of time which is critical as I am really at the cafe to do important work.
- When I put them all on a weekly spread I have a great compositional challenge over progressive days.
Ok, is that enough reasons to continue?
So big idea of the week was:
Having a little sketching ritual is great for keeping you turning up and doing something!
Its repetitive nature opens the door for pushing the boundaries.
Note: I was away from home over the weekend so I’m unable to share with you the full collection this week, but I will catch up next week.
A challenge for you:
Find an object that is part of your daily routine and sketch it 5 days in a row in the coming week.
And if you somehow missed it, registration is now open for my new SketchingNow Buildings online course – 6 week course starting on 7 September. Don’t miss out!