I just realised that I have not shared two sketches from a short visit to the City in late February. I didn’t do much – for those of you who know Sydney, I simply caught the train into Town Hall and then walked down George St to Wynard with a few stops on the way.
My first sketch was this line drawing of QVB (Queen Victoria Building) and then I found myself looking at a building by JimmyB – James Barnet. “How surprising!” I hear you say! 🙂
I sat down on a bench just in front of the GPO building so all I could see was one of the arches. One day I would like to sketch the entire Geroge St facade of this building when I’m not worried about the threat of rain at any time!
Since I was recording some video clips to create a Reel on Instagram (see here) I have lots of step-by-step photos to show you.
On this occasion my steps were:
- A few loose pencil lines of the main structure
- Preliminary washes describing the structure
- Drawing with fude (sepia ink) into the drying washes
- More paint particularly to shadow areas
- More details with the pen
- A few final touches with paint (including some turquoise right at the end)
It was a fun and a rather loose sketch so I hope you enjoy seeing all of these close-up photos! 🙂