I ran it for the first time last year and it was the most incredible experience. Not only was it great to have the chance to share my best tips for seeing and sketching buildings, but I was blown away by the development of the skills of the people who were doing the assignments week by week. This post contains some images from the 2016 classroom.
This 10 week masterclass has been designed to empower you to tackle sketching any building with confidence by:
- learning to see buildings in terms of volumes, in a way that will make them much easier to sketch
- developing a structured way of working which will mean no building is too hard for you to draw
- using a value-based way of applying colour that will make your building sketches lively
(Click here if you can’t see the embedded video)
Building on my book
If you have my book “5Minute Sketching Architecture” you will have been introduced to the concepts that I use when sketching buildings. These combine my 20 years expereince working as an architect and 10 years of urban sketching – it’s an architectural approach to sketching and a observational approach to understanding buildings.
In the Buildings course, I go into the essential concepts from the book in more depth and then apply them to a wide range of different types of architecture. There is also no need to work fast – we will take it slowly making sure you understnad each concept before moving onto the next one. If you haven’t yet put the tips from my book into practice, then this online course is a great way for you to work through the important techniques. I have designed some targeted exercises so that you will really see improvement in your work.
Self Directed Course
I am re-opening Buildings as a self directed course with life-time access. All the lessons are available on enrollment and you can work through them at your own pace.
- 4 in-depth lessons (recommended time for each is 2 weeks)
- 2 in-depth reviews of selected students work
- 9 hours of video – 22 different demonstrations
- over 100 pages of downloadable content
- private classroom for sharing work and discussions with others
- lifetime access to all course content and any further updates
- self-directed course – start at any time and work at your own pace
- full transcripts for all video lessons
For more information please click here.
And just before I go, I have to say that the course is extra special for me as it includes two demonstrations of Palladian buildings filmed on location in Vicenza. Sorry!?! I just couldn’t resist pointing this fact out – you all know I am the biggest Palladio fan-girl out there, don’t you?!
But seriously, the two demos that I include in the class are great examples of how to sketch classical buildings, and SketchingNow Buildings gives you the system to follow so you can sketch buildings like these with confidence!
Please let me know if you have any questions… or if you did Buildings last year, I would love to hear what your biggest takeaway was.